Van Hook is a ghost town in the state of North Dakota. It was located in Van Hook Township in Mountrail County. The original town site was inundated when Lake Sakakawea was formed in the 1950s, and most of the residents moved to New Town. Much of the old town site is underwater, and that which remains was converted to a park. Lake Sakakawea's Van Hook Arm gets its name from the town.
Van Hook was founded in 1914 as a station on the Soo Line Railroad. It is named after Fred Van Hook, who was one of the first to survey the area in 1911. Van Hook was incorporated in 1915, and reported a peak population of 372 in 1930. In fact, the town grew so fast that it earned the nickname "The City of Speed."
“That's the best steak this side
of the Missouri!”